Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"It's not habit forming!!!"


Wow, was this movie funny. But I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone who is sensitive to that whole MPAA ratings machine. And those of you who feel confident enough to select which rated R movies are "okay" to watch because they "only have violence" or whatever, good luck justifying this movie. Basically, what I'm saying is, wait for the CleanFlix version. Which will be 19 minutes long and not funny.

In other news, we had a second (already?!?) ultrasound yesterday. Apparently at our hospital there's this new protocol and everybody gets 9 million ultrasounds and blood tests. Whatever. It was wild to see the little living human in Melissa's tummy. He or she was not all that cooperative and didn't feel like displaying his or her gender. We love him or her still the same. I can't bring myself to say "it." Because it wouldn't move (there, I did it) we got an extra long ultrasound while she tried to inspire movement and the sonographer showed us the heart, brain, eyes, spine, bladder, kidneys, stomach, legs, arms, placenta, etc. It was pretty sweet. This has been happening since, well...forever; but it is still so nuts. Those of you without kids, you just wait till you or your sig-oth gets prego and see if it doesn't alter your universe to see a baby growing inside of you or your sig-oth. NUTS!

Lastly, the other day I was driving with Melissa and we saw a car up on the grass all skeewampus and multiple people scrambling around but no police or firetrucks yet. After some gentle prodding I pulled over to go "help." The dude was being yanked from the vehicle when I arrived and my cries of "don't move him!" went entirely ignored as I ran over. Fortunately I would soon find out that there was no collision and thus moving him probably wasn't the end of the world. Apparently he was seen slumped over and his car swerved into oncoming traffic, miraculously missing everyone, and coming to a gentle stop on the grass. I got up close and said "I'm a doctor," which was answered with "well this guys is a medic, so..." I immediately regretted my decision to stop. Then I did a little medical magic (felt his pulse) and after my thorough evaluation (eyeballed him) I professed, "he may have had a seizure." This was met with incredulity from my fellow rescuer who exclaimed, "No, he didn't swallow his tongue or nothin'." I debated within myself for a moment whether it was worth launching into a dissertation on old wives' tales, but thought better of it. Finally the firemen showed up and told us idiots to get out of the way so they could treat this poor man we were trying to harm. I make one heck of a good Samaritan, don't I?

1 comment:

napalmbrain said...

I had a car accident experience the other day, but very different, actually.

I ride my bike to school down this trail that follows that freeway all the way from Marina to Monterey - it follows it pretty closely, and people riding along it have been hit by wayward cars and stuff. It's pretty fun.

Anyway, so I had heard in the morning before my ride that there had been an accident on the freeway right along my route, but as this happens almost every day, and almost always is some idiot in a fender bender, I didn't pay attention to it.

So fifteen minutes later, I'm riding my bike to school, and I pass this swath of torn up grass and ice plant along the road, and I think, "hmm. Strange."

The torn up grass leads to a part in the fence (which is NOT between the trail and the freeway, curiously) where the chain link is completely torn up, and five or six poles are bent 90 degrees to the ground.

The car was gone, the carnage was, too, but had I been in that spot just 20 minutes before, I may have had a much more interesting morning.