Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Gary Wright's been busy...


I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe it was the fact that some crazy newspaper delivery person pounded on our door at 3:45 this morning because she saw our sign that says "deliveries please knock loudly." I opened the door and she pointed to the sign, and I restrained myself enough to say simply, "not at 4:00 a.m.!" Or maybe it was playing the world's sweetest video game, Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii last night. Let me just nerd-out for a second: this game is so sweet. There are enough hints of the good old school super mario games that it adds a nice bit of nostalgia. But more importantly, it is pretty dog-gone creative. If any one remembers the 1970's The Little Prince musical, this game will recall memories of the tiny planets the prince visits on the way to earth. Anyway it got my brain all-a-churnin'.

Anyhow, whatever caused it, I had a pretty intense series of dreams between 3:45 and 5:45 when my actual, non-russian-newspaper-deliverer alarm clock went off. I shall try to make a full account:

First, and most believably, I was somehow taking "4 credit hours" of college courses while being a surgery resident. Except I hadn't been to class since the very first day in September and it was now December. I was panicking trying to figure out if I could still pass or withdraw. The first class was English literature. I showed up with my book opened to the story that I was supposed to have read, but had not. After class I went up to the teacher and asked her what my chances were, and she showed me her precise calculation that I had "1/3" of the class left, and thus could still save my grade somehow. I left this class and went outside to an overly hilly version of the U of U golf course area. I then went to my next class at a different campus which had a giant clear sphere outside with a sort-of trapeze artist inside. This was definitely inspired my Mr. Mario. He was flipping around and then spun too fast and got rammed into a platform. Pete was there and we both remarked about how odd that was. I went inside to a gym. There were tons of young attractive people and I thought to myself that this was a nice bonus of going back to college. Inside the gym was my art class. I had to go to a store to buy some brushes and paints. Then I was in the gym getting changed and some guy came by selling drugs out of a giant Maverick refillable soda jug. He was yelling out fairly nonchalantly: "5 for 1" which I took to mean 5 joints for $100. I have no idea whether this is ridiculous or right-on. I then went outside and adjacent to the gym was a mall. There were several rent-a-cops and I thought about reporting the drug-dealer, but ended up not saying anything.

There you go. Who needs acid when you can just play Wii and go to sleep.

No comments: